Promoting International, Comparative and Global Social Policy
SPA aims to be an outward-looking association. International, comparative and global aspects of social policy, as well as engagement with scholars residing outside of the UK, are at the heart of SPA’s mission and activities.
We are linked to scholarly associations in other countries with whom we have reciprocal arrangements. Below you can find links to their websites, as well as links to the websites of a number of overseas social policy associations, organisations, networks and journals relevant to the international, comparative and global aspects of social policy.
- Finland’s Social Policy Association and UK’s Social Policy Association agreed to a formal International Affiliation (Spring 2018). Finnish SPA endorsed a Formal International Affiliation with UK SPA.
Funding and offers
SPA operates an International Conference Support Scheme to provide financial assistance for improving the SPA’s links with overseas scholars and learned societies and to promote the SPA internationally. Please visit the SPA website for future calls.
We maintain strong links with English-speaking Academic Journals focusing on international, comparative or global social policy:
- Global Social Policy – UK SPA members are eligible to 35% discount on their subscriptions
- Journal of International and Comparative Social Policy – UK SPA members are eligible to subscribe for a discounted rate of £24 (print) and £21 (online)
UK SPA seeks, and welcomes, international engagement with learned societies.
- Are you a member of a Social Policy Association in a country other than the UK interested in building links with the UK SPA?
- Are you developing a similar organisation in your country and want to explore possible collaboration with UK SPA with reciprocal membership benefits?
Click here for our document explaining the different types of international collaboration that SPA endorses.
To discuss any aspects of international collaboration with SPA please contact our Executive Committee members assigned with the portfolio of International Relations (Dr Theo Papadopoulos or Dr Antonios Roumpakis). We will be happy to hear from you.
Existing International affiliations and partnerships
SPA maintains longstanding international affiliations and cooperation with the following associations and networks (in alphabetical order).
- Africa – African Social Policy Association (AFSPA) – The UK SPA supported an inaugural conference by the African Social Policy Association, which was formed by colleagues in Kenya.
- Australia – Australian Social Policy Association (ASPA) The UK SPA supported the creation of the Australian Social Policy Association. This committed the UK SPA to a reciprocal agreement with ASPA whereby members of each organisation can attend the other’s annual conferences at the membership rate. See also, website of the Social Policy Research Centre at the University of New South Wales, Sydney.
- China – Inter-University Consortium for Comparative Social Policy in Greater China – A representative of the SPA Executive Committee attended the inaugural event of this new research cluster.
- East Asia – East Asian Social Policy Research Network (EASP) – The UK SPA and EASP signed a reciprocal agreement during the first joint EASP/UK SPA annual conference at the University of York in July 2012.
- Finland – Social Policy Association – Since Spring 2018 Finnish SPA endorsed a Formal International Affiliation with UK SPA.
- India – Indian Social Policy Network (ISPN) The SPA has actively supported the creation of a social policy network in India and co-organised a series of collaborative workshops and conferences.
SPA continues to have constructive dialogue with social policy associations and networks in a wide range of countries and regions, and encourages colleagues from overseas to contact us to discuss reciprocal arrangements or other forms of collaboration. We maintain links with the following learned societies and networks (in alphabetic order)
- EU – European Social Policy Analysis Network (ESPAnet) Members of the UK SPA Executive Committee have attended annual meetings of ESPAnet as well as events organized by national ESPAnet associations.
- Greece – Hellenic Social Policy Association (EEKP) – under review
- Ireland – Irish Social Policy Association (ISPA)
- Japan – Society for the Study of Social Welfare
- Latin America – Latin America Social Policy Network (LASP)
- South Africa – Policy Analysis Unit, Human Sciences research Council.
- Turkey – Turkish Social Policy Forum
- UK – Development Studies Association The first joint DSA/UK SPA conference was held at the University of Bath. The two associations aim to build on into the future.
- USA – Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management (APPAM) APPAM is dedicated to improving public policy and management by fostering excellence in research, analysis, and education.
SPA also maintain links with organisations focusing on international, comparative or global social policy:
- EU – European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR) – Standing Group on the Politics of Welfare and Social Policy Reform
- EU- European Group for Public Administration (EGPA)
- International – International Labour Organisation (ILO) – Social Security Department
- International – Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Social Policy Division
- International – Foundation for International Studies on Social Security (FISS)
- International –International Society for Child Indicators (ISCI)
Finally, members of the SPA’s International and Comparative Social Policy (ICSP) special interest group meet during the annual conference to discuss issues pertaining to the promotion of International, Comparative and Global Social Policy.