Promoting International, Comparative and Global Social Policy
SPA is an outward-looking association. International, comparative and global aspects of social policy, as well as engagement with scholars residing outside of the United Kingdom, are at the heart of SPA’s mission and activities.
We are linked to scholarly associations in other countries with whom we have reciprocal arrangements. Below you can find links to their websites, as well as links to the websites of a number of overseas social policy associations, organisations, networks and journals relevant to the international, comparative and global aspects of social policy.
SPA seeks, and welcomes, engagement and collaboration with learned societies nationally and internationally.
- Are you a member of a Social Policy Association in a country territory or region other than the UK, interested in building links with the UK SPA? Are you developing a similar organisation in your country and want to explore possible collaboration with UK SPA with reciprocal membership benefits?
By clicking here you will access our formal document explaining the different types of international collaboration that SPA endorses.
To discuss any aspects of international collaboration with SPA please contact our Executive Committee members assigned with the portfolio of International Relations (Dr Theo Papadopoulos or Dr Antonios Roumpakis). We will be happy to hear from you!
Existing International affiliations and partnerships
SPA maintains longstanding international affiliations with multiple associations and networks promoting the research and study of social policy.
The following organisations have signed formal International Affiliation agreements with the Social Policy Association (UK).
- Australia – Australian Social Policy Association (ASPA). SPA supported the creation of the Australian Social Policy Association. This committed the SPA to a reciprocal agreement with ASPA whereby members of each organisation can attend the other’s annual conferences at the membership rate. See also, website of the Social Policy Research Centre at the University of New South Wales, Sydney.
- East Asia – East Asian Social Policy Research Network (EASP). SPA and EASP signed a reciprocal agreement during the first joint EASP/UK SPA annual conference at the University of York in July 2012.
- Finland – Social Policy Association. Finnish SPA endorsed a Formal International Affiliation with SPA in 2018.
- India – Indian Social Policy Network (ISPN). SPA has actively supported the creation of a social policy network in India and co-organised a series of collaborative workshops and conferences.
- Italy – Social Policy Section of the Italian Association of Sociology (AIS). Italy’s Social Policy Section of AIS endorsed a Formal International Affiliation with SPA in 2019.
- Korea – Korean Social Policy Association – Korea’s SPA endorsed a Formal International Affiliation with SPA in 2020.
- Turkey – Turkish Social Policy Forum. Turkey’s SPF endorsed a Formal International Affiliation with SPA in 2018.
SPA continues to have constructive dialogue with social policy associations and networks in a wide range of countries and regions, and encourages colleagues from overseas to contact us to discuss reciprocal arrangements or other forms of collaboration. We maintain contact with the following learned societies and networks (in alphabetic order)
- EU – European Social Policy Analysis Network (ESPAnet) Members of the UK SPA Executive Committee have attended annual meetings of ESPAnet as well as events organized by national ESPAnet associations.
- China – Social Policy Committee, Chinese Sociological Association
- Greece – Hellenic Social Policy Association (EEKP) – under review
- Ireland – Irish Social Policy Association (ISPA)
- Japan – Society for the Study of Social Welfare
- Latin America – Latin America Social Policy Network (LASP)
- UK – Development Studies Association The first joint DSA/UK SPA conference was held at the University of Bath. The two associations aim to strengthen their relationship by co-organizing future events.
- USA – Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management (APPAM) APPAM is dedicated to improving public policy and management by fostering excellence in research, analysis, and education.
SPA also maintain links with organisations focusing on international, comparative or global social policy:
- EU – European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR) – Standing Group on the Politics of Welfare and Social Policy Reform
- EU- European Group for Public Administration (EGPA)
- International – International Labour Organisation (ILO) – Social Security Department
- International – Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Social Policy Division
- International – Foundation for International Studies on Social Security (FISS)