Journal of Social Policy Chair of Editorial Board: call for expressions of interest
The Social Policy Association invites applications for the Chair of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Social Policy (JSP), to run for a period of five years from January 2020 – December 2025. JSP is a journal of the UK Social Policy Association, published by Cambridge University Press.
The Chair should demonstrate an enthusiasm and support for the journal’s aims and its distinctive position within the field of social policy publishing. The Chair is expected to act at all times in the best interests of the journal. The Chair will be expected to be a paid-up member of the SPA for the duration of his/her role in office, have some knowledge of JSP and of its distinctiveness as a social policy journal, keep abreast of journal developments and wider trends in the field of social policy publishing. The normal term of office is five years.
S/he will participate in all activities related to the smooth running and continued success of the Journal:
- Keeping in regular contact and liaison with the Social Policy Association Executive Committee (notably via the SPA Chair as ex-officio member of the journal EB), CUP and the Editors;
- Providing the Editors with advice on matters of journal policy and practice as needed;
- Providing balanced and impartial judgment on issues of contention that may arise;
- Ensure journal governance and policy are consistently adhered to;
- Sustaining collegial, inclusive and professional relations among the EB members, addressing issues arising.
- Working at all times to maintain highest levels of academic excellence, professional integrity, inclusivity and transparency in the running of the journal and the Editorial Board.
The principal responsibilities of the Editorial Board Chair are to:
- To Chair the Journal’s Editorial Board Meetings, which are held in January and July each year.
- To oversee the process of recruiting new Editors to the Journal, in consultation with the EB, SPA and CUP.
- To oversee the recruitment of new members to the International Advisory Board
The Chair can act to support the continued success of the journal by, for example,
- promoting awareness of the journal through her/his networks;
- encouraging submissions to the journal;
- identifying risks and opportunities facing the journal and leading the development of an appropriate response to them;
- ensure journal governance, policy and practice remain consistent with the standards of a successful international journal, addressing issues that surface in a timely way.
The Chair of the Editorial Board of JSP is expected to chair two Editorial Board meetings each year, one in January, usually held in London (travel expenses are reimbursed), and the other at the annual SPA conference.
Whilst the official start date is January 2020 it is expected that the successful candidate will shadow the existing Chair of the Editorial Board for a period of up to 6 months (from July 2019) to ensure a smooth handover.
Applications are invited from individuals based at UK universities. Applications should provide details of the following:
- Please say what you can bring to the journal in terms of, for example, your experience of working on other journals, your areas of social policy expertise, your established networks and so on.
Applications should be forwarded by email and attachment to current Chair of the Editorial Board Karen Rowlingson, firstname.lastname@example.org, by 5pm Friday 17th May 2019.
Applications will be shortlisted by a sub-committee of the Board and subject to consideration by the full Board, with the outcome announced in June 2019 and Chair of the Editorial Board taking up the role from January 2020. Interested parties are invited to contact the current Chair of the Editorial Board for informal discussion about the role.