Dear SPA members,
As you may be aware, HEFCE has called for Research Excellence Framework (REF) sub-panel nominees. The REF is a key way of assessing excellence in research and allocating HEFCE funding. More details about the REF and the role of the sub-panels are available here.
The Social Policy Association will formally submit a list of academics and social policy practitioners to be part of the Social Policy and Social Work sub-panel. A sub-committee of the SPA will consider nominees with relevant expertise and experience to produce a diverse list of nominees that covers all aspects of Social Policy as well as introducing new people to the process.
If you would like to be considered for as a nominee, please send a statement (one A4 page max and CV that details relevant experience) to the SPA’s vice-chair, Steve Iafrati (firstname.lastname@example.org). You should explicitly address the following considerations:
- An understanding of research excellence and the ways in which quality may be assessed
- An ability to recognise research impact
- A record of collaborative research with partners and organisations external to your host institution
- Experience of assessing quality such as peer reviewing, editorial work and/or managing research
- Your own research outputs and publications
- A contribution to the citizenship of social policy.
The SPA will submit a list of nominees that:
- Reflects a breadth of areas of expertise
- Covers a range of methodological approaches
- Includes nominees from a variety of higher education institutions
- Includes nominees that have an academic background but may be working outside of higher education and having a strong relationship to informing or influencing social policy
- Possesses experience and expertise of interdisciplinary research
The SPA will also ensure that the list of nominees comprises:
Equality and diversity in relation to gender, ethnicity, disability and other themes that may be under-represented
Researchers and academics that are new to the REF process and represent the future of Social Policy
The deadline for submission of your statement and CV is Friday the 8th of December 2017. A sub-committee of the SPA will review all submissions and select nominees on the bases of the above criteria.
Dr Rachael Dobson
Social Policy Association, Secretary
Lecturer in Criminology
School of Law
Birkbeck, University of London
London WC1E 7HX